The David Riley Coaches Conference is an annual quizbowl conference primarily held to support the efforts of coaches nationwide in developing and promoting high quality high school quizbowl. The conference consists of panel discussions on topics of interest to quizbowl players and coaches. It is traditionally held the Friday evening before the National Scholastic Tournament in the tournament hotel.
This year, the recording of the 2020 David Riley Quizbowl Conference is available online:
Our panelists at the 2020 Conference were:
- Em Gunter – Salem, Virginia
- Matt Hasquin – Southwestern High School Head Coach & IHSSBCA Chair
- Tora Husar – University of Minnesota
- Chris Johnson – Itawamba AHS Quiz Bowl Coach & Mississippi State Championship Director
- Ashish Kumbhardare – West Chester, Pennsylvania
- Arjun Nageswaran, Junior at Adlai E. Stevenson High School
- Erik Nelson – Bounceback Foundation, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
- Ken Romeo – Middlesex Middle School, Co-host of the Quiz Bowl Podcast For 10 Points
History of the Conference
The conference began in 2015 as the PACE Coaches Conference, and has since expanded to become a panel discussion on all facets of the quizbowl community. Topics discussed at past conferences include team and circuit development, conduct and interactions between community members of different ages, scaling up from high school to college quizbowl, and “Making Your Home in Quizbowl.”
The conference is named in honor of David Riley, the former quizbowl coach at Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois. He was a tournament host, chair of the Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Association, question writer, and PACE member. He passed away in 2015 at the age of 59, but his enthusiasm for quizbowl has had a deep and lasting impact on our activity in Illinois and across the country.
Previous David Riley Coaches’ Conferences