When: As you’re preparing to announce your tournament
- Make sure to read this guide for tournament directors from beginning to end, so that you have a complete understanding of your responsibilities well before the tournament.
- Make sure that you personally have the hardware requirements described in the equipment section (webcam, headset, good internet connection, computer with minimal other apps running).
- Announce your tournament like you usually would (hsquizbowl.org forums, hsquizbowl.org TournamentDB, emails, etc.). In the announcement, link to this guide.
- Recruit staff for the tournament. Ideally you’ll have 2 staffers for each room and at least 1 dedicated tournament director. Having backup staff is extremely important. It’s very common for moderators to have hardware issues that cannot be resolved. Without a backup for them, the whole tournament can get behind.
- Ideally try to get practice with Discord before hosting the tournament. Run your team’s practice over Discord (use a separate server). Play in another Discord tournament from an experienced online tournament TD. Join one of the PACE-run TD training sessions.