Like in an in-person event, the tournament director is the person ultimately responsible for an online event. The TD will spend a lot of time preparing the Discord server prior to running the event (see detailed steps below).
On the day of the event, the TD’s main jobs should be:
- Enforcing a clear code of conduct and making sure that everyone is treated with respect
- Posting appropriate announcements in the #announcements channel
- Getting everyone into their assigned role
- Often you’ll have people joining late, so it’s important to monitor the #general chat for people who don’t have roles
- Working with moderators on making sure teams are in the correct rooms for each round
- Responding to rooms having technical difficulties. Often the best resolution is to swap out one staffer for another (which is why it’s so important to have backup staffers)
- Checking in on what rooms are going slowly and why
- Make sure that moderators are quickly moving through questions, not giving too much time on answers, etc.
- Resolving protests in #protests
- Handling rebracketing, lunch breaks, etc.
This can be a lot of work so it’s highly encouraged that you have a separate stats person and you are not directly staffing a room.
≪ Online Tournament Size| TD Guide | Online Tournament Equipment ≫