Welcome to the PACE guide for directing in an online tournament. This guide is complete for hosting a Discord tournament. We’re still working on the version of this guide for Zoom (see bottom of this page). For guides for staffing, playing or coaching at an online tournament see here.
This guide assumes that you have staffed at least one in-person quizbowl tournament before. If not, please see TBD on quizbowl basics.
General Online Tournament Hosting
The following links apply to tournament directors hosting either a Discord or Zoom tournament:
- Software Options for an Online Tournament
- How Large Should Your Tournament Be?
- The Tournament Director’s Role During the Tournament
- Equipment You’ll Need (mainly for your staffers, but helpful to have as a TD just in case)
As tournament director of a Discord tournament, you’ll:
- Create a Discord server to host your tournament on
- Invite staffs, players, and coaches to it and then add them to the appropriate tournament roles
- Create the schedules and links to packets/scoresheets for your staffers
- Run a tournament where moderators, players, and coaches join a video call to engage in virtual quizbowl matches. The moderators read the questions, the players type “buzz” to buzz in
- Manage your staffers, make sure teams get to their new rooms each round, make sure stats are collected, create new schedules for playoffs
- Enforce a welcoming environment adhering to PACE’s code of conduct
The below sections provide in-depth detail on how to host an online tournament on Discord. Please read them all before announcing your tournament so you know what to expect and what resources are available.
- Quick Guide to Online Tournaments on Discord
- Discord Basics
- Discord Settings
- Intro To Discord Bots
- Cheating and Misconduct
- Online Tournament Rules
- Finding and Training Staff
Step-by-Step Guide for Discord:
- Tournament Prep
- Discord Server Creation
- Creating Rooms and Teams on Your Server
- Adding Players, Staff and Coaches to Your Discord Server
- Creating Schedules
- Creating Scoresheets
- Handling Protests
- Discord Troubleshooting
Note that this section is currently incomplete.
Step-by-Step Guide for Zoom: